19-Year-Old Dies of Drug Overdose at ASOT 700 in Sydney
Tragedy struck on Saturday at Sydney's A State of Trance festival with Armin van Buuren. A nineteen-year-old concert goer passed away from a drug overdose, while five others were taken to the hospital, including another twenty-year-old man who remains in critical, but stable condition on life support. According to 9News, the deceased teen that was in attendance with his brother succumbed to peer pressure, and may have been playing a game with his friends by seeing "how many pills they can take."
Among the forty people arrested at the event's location (Sydney Olympic Park) was a twenty-year-old Auburn man who was detained after he allegedly trying to run from police. He was searched and was allegedly found to be in possession of nearly 100 tablets that are believed to be MDMA, and cash. Another individual detained by police was allegedly in possession of 130 pills.
These terrible occurrences are all too familiar to those who have been around the dance music scene. Sadly, drug-related deaths have become synonymous with festivals. In 2013, the final day of New York's Electric Zoo Festival was cancelled following the tragic deaths of two young festival goers, and hospitalization of an additional four. In August of 2014, the Maryland date of the Mad Decent Block Party saw the deaths of two young attendees and the hospitalization of an additional twenty individuals. At an Avicii concert at Boston's TD Garden in June of 2014, 22 attendees were taken to the Emergency Room, while a dozen more were under evaluation. Hopefully, this year's fast-approaching festival season will not come with such occurrences.