Defected Presents: House Masters – Frankie Knuckles
There is no denying who sits atop the thrown of all time house masters, it’s Frankie Knuckles. The late producer helped to define a generation of innovation during the dance music boom that occurred during the late ‘70s and '80s which would set the stage for the future of the industry. His role at The Gallery, and later at The Warehouse, played an integral part in the evolution of the scene where members of the counter-culture would link up to dance the night away. He left behind perhaps the greatest house music legacy that ever was or ever will be, having produced dance music at a spiritual level for nearly four decades. Now, Defected Records presents us with a collection of timeless classics that bring back the soul and overall feeling of what made house music so special.
This project began as a selection from Frankie Knuckles himself who, in February 2014, was putting together a series of tracks for a special retrospective compilation of his illustrious career. Unfortunately, he passed away 1 month later on March 31, 2014 and the project was then put on hold. Nearly a year has passed since then and we are graced with some amazing news that the project will see the light of day. It’s only fitting that one of the more prominent labels in the industry, Defected Records in collaboration with Def Mix Management and the estate of Frankie Knuckles, will be issuing the release. It’s been a long time coming and house heads will be happy to know that the selection is filled with some all-time favorites.
“This is a great mixture of Frankie's work. It shows his spirit and love of artists. His artistry will always be at the forefront of dance music and so will his energy.” - Sir Elton John
Of course Frankie Knuckles' most recognizable originals like "The Whistle Song," "Your Love," and "Only The Strong Survive" are included in the collection, but this release holds so much. From exclusive edits to quality remixes, this stack represents a revolutionary period of dance music. It’s like hoping into Emmett Brown’s Delorean and traveling back in time to 1980s Chicago and spending a night at The Warehouse or Frankie Knuckles own club, The Power Plant. Back to when funky grooves and rhythmic 4x4 percussion took over the dancefloor.
The whole compilation is noteworthy, but some standout tracks include Alison Limerick’s "Where Love Lives (Classic Mix)" where a catchy piano melody sets the tone for a house beat filled with tambourines, high-hats and claps. Andrea Mendez’s "Bring Me Love (Classic Frankie)" possesses a disco style theme with some added house energy to heat things up while Frankie Knuckles remix of "Hangin’ On A String" by Loose Ends brings in that down-tempo dance flavor. Another prominent Frankie remix of "The Pressure" by Sounds of Blackness is also included which holds a hard-hitting bass line at it’s foundation with a funky guitar riff to bring it to the next level.
With the creation of The Frankie Knuckles Fund established in partnership with the Elton John Aids Foundation, all profits from this release will be donated directly to the charity. The release will be accompanied by a limited edition commemorative t-shirt, available exclusively from the Defected online store.
Check out the tracklist below and be sure to grab this release on April 26.
Click Here to make a donation to The Frankie Knuckles Fund.
01. Frankie Knuckles featuring Jamie Principle ‘Your Love’
02. Frankie Knuckles presents Satoshi Tomiie ‘Tears’ (Classic Vocal)
03. Frankie Knuckles ‘The Whistle Song’ (Sound Factory Mix)
04. Alison Limerick ‘Where Love Lives’ (Classic Mix)
05. Hercules & Love Affair ‘Blind’ (Frankie Knuckles Remix)
06. Frankie Knuckles featuring Roberta Gilliam ‘Workout’ (1992 Vocal Mix)
07. Frankie Knuckles with Jamie Principle ‘Baby Wants To Ride’
08. Andrea Mendez ‘Bring Me Love’ (Classic Frankie)
09. Frankie Knuckles ’Only The Strong Survive’ (Club Mix)
10. Frankie Knuckles ‘It's Hard Sometime’ (FK Classic Club)
11. Adeva ‘Beautiful Love’ (Extended)
01. Inner City ‘Whatcha Gonna Do With My Lovin'’ (Def Mix)
02. Sounds Of Blackness ‘The Pressure’ (Frankie Knuckles Classic Mix)
03. The Nightwriters ‘Let the Music Use You’ (Club Mix)
04. First Choice ‘Let No Man Put Asunder’ (12" Frankie Knuckles Remix)
05. Frankie Knuckles ’Rain Falls’ (FK Original)
06. Rufus & Chaka Khan ‘Ain’t Nobody’ (Hallucinogenic Version)
07. Loose Ends ‘Hangin’ On A String’ (Frankie Knuckles Club Mix)
08. Frankie Knuckles featuring Adeva ‘Too Many Fish’ (Classic Frankie Version)
09. Lisa Stansfield ‘Change’ (Knuckles Mix)
10. Pet Shop Boys ‘Left To My Own Devices’ (Frankie Knuckles Royal Piano Version)
11. Frankie Knuckles presents Director's Cut featuring Jamie Principle ‘I’ll Take You There’ (Director’s Cut Classic Signature Mix)